Frequently Asked Questions – Planning Permission?

1. What is Planning Permission?

For domestic properties, planning consent relates to changes in the appearance or use of buildings such as an extension to a house, or a conversion of a house into flats. Planning should not be confused with the Building Regulations that are entirely separate -you can find a description of these in the next section. Planning can be one of the main hurdles to clear when thinking about making changes to your home and needs to be given consideration from the start. It may be possible that your project can be done within Permitted Development –Please contact Jonathan who will be able to advise you of this.

2. Will I Automatically be Given Planning Permission if Someone Else in my Street Has Done the Same Renovation or Extension?

A common misconception is that because other houses in the street have, for instance, roof extensions, this will automatically mean that yours will be allowed. This is not the case as each application is assessed on its own merits and planning policy does change over time. Jonathan will be able to give you advice relating to current planning policy that will help develop the design solution.


3. What is Permitted Development?

Most houses in England can benefit from Permitted Development rights. These rights allow you to undertake building works to your home without the need for planning permission, provided you stay within defined guidelines.

There are a number of limits on height, volume (in cubic meters) etc. that your proposals need to be within for permitted development to apply. If your project is eligible for permitted development Jonathan would recommend that you apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development to confirm this. The application needs to be supported by suitable drawings and calculations, do not hesitate to contact Jonathan who can help with this. More ...

4. Are There Different Planning Rules for a Listed Building?

Buildings of particular architectural interest are often officially 'Listed' and thereby protected. Many residential buildings are Listed Grade 2, which means that all alterations (not just those to the outside or original parts) have to be approved under Listed Building Consent. Making a Listed Building Consent application is similar to making a planning application - but with a few differences. The process may be handled by a conservation officer within your local planning department or might be referred to English Heritage and there is no application fee. As with standard planning permissions Jonathan can help you with this.


5. Are There Different Planning Rules for a Conservation Area?

Living in a conservation area usually means that changes to the external appearance of your building will be a particularly sensitive issue. If you are not sure if your property is located within a Conservation Area you can find this out from the Local Authority. You will probably need to complete an Application for Conservation Area Consent. Again it is advisable to check with you Local Planning Department or ask Jonathan to do this for you.  

6. What Will I Need in Order to Make a Planning Application?

For most projects your design will need to be taken to the stage of scheme level drawings. Jonathan will prepare the drawings and the supporting documentation and then submit your planning application for you. As a guide it generally takes 8 weeks from submission of a planning application to a decision. Please note you will require a location plan and a statutory application fee to accompany your application. Depending on your project and its location it may also be necessary to have other supporting documentation prepared prior to submission, for example a tree report or ecology report. Jonathan will be able to advise you on this and if necessary arrange for these to be produced on your behalf and incorporated into the planning application. Contact Jonathan.Braddick

For examples of completed projects please visit the Projects page of this website.

For a summary of the services that Jonathan provides and how he can help you with your project please visit the Services page of the website. 

Contact Jonathan on: 01395 265768 or email:

Click here to return to the Home page

Copyright 2023 Jonathan Braddick  - RIBA Chartered Architect.  3 Southernhay West, Exeter, Devon, EX1 1JG      T:  01395 265768   W:    E: