Frequently Asked Questions – Party Wall Agreements ? 

1. What is a Party Wall Agreement?

It is very common with alterations to domestic buildings (even for detached houses) that action under the Party Wall legislation will be necessary. Works that affect a wall, fence or any part of your neighbour's structure, within certain specified distances will require notification to adjoining owners in accordance with the Party Wall Act 1996. This notification can be a complicated procedure and can take a good deal of time. Jonathan can help you prepare a Party Wall Notice, however it is recommended that if you might have an issue with party wall legislation, you approach a specialist Party Wall Surveyor, who will be able to advise you and guide you through the process.

Please click here to download an Explanatory Booklet for the Party Wall Act 1996 (3.98 mgb)


For examples of completed projects please visit the Projects page of this website.

For a summary of the services that Jonathan provides and how he can help you with your project please visit the Services page of the website. 

Contact Jonathan on: 01395 265768 or email:

Click here to return to the Home page

Copyright 2023 Jonathan Braddick  - RIBA Chartered Architect.  3 Southernhay West, Exeter, Devon, EX1 1JG      T:  01395 265768   W:    E: