Frequently Asked Questions - Building Regulations Continued ...

The building regulations are produced by the government and are regularly updated to make sure buildings are safe, energy efficient and accessible to all. Building Regulation applications show how an individual project will adhere to these standards.

If you are intending to undertake a building project, even if it is covered by Permitted Development Rights, you will need to gain building regulations approval. To obtain Full Plans Approval, you will need to provide a set of drawings that include specifications and notes showing how your building or extension will meet the requirements of the regulations, which are outlined below.

What is covered by the building regulations?

In order to simplify the implementation of all the legislation, the government has produced a set of ‘approved documents’. These ‘approved documents’ spell out in plain English steps how to achieve compliance with the regulations.

The documents are split into 14 sections as detailed below:

 Part A        Structural Safety

                      This document covers the structural requirements of your   .................building project including its load bearing on the ground.

Part B       Fire Safety - Volume 1

                   Covers dwelling houses.

                   Fire Safety - Volume 2

                   Covers buildings other than dwelling houses.

Part C      Resistance to Contaminants & Moisture

         This document covers the resistance to contaminants and  ..............moisture that are found in the ground such as hydrocarbons ..............or asbestos.

Part D    Toxic Substances

         This document covers the use of urea formaldehyde foam ..............insulation.

Part E      Resistance to Sound

                   This document covers the requirement for soundproofing.

Part F      Ventilation

            This document covers the requirement for natural or .....................mechanical ventilation

Part G      Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water  Efficiency

         This document covers the supply of hot and cold water ...............including water-heating appliances

Part H    Drainage and Waste Disposal

           This document covers the disposal of surface water and foul .............waste

Part J      Heat Producing Appliances

              This document covers different forms of heating from .....................electrical to solid fuel

Part K     Protection from Falling

          This document covers the protection of falling including .................handrails, balconies and balustrades for stairs, for example

Part L   Conservation of Fuel & Power - L1A

               Covers the thermal efficiency of new dwelling houses

               Conservation of Fuel & Power - L1B

              Covers the thermal efficiency of existing dwelling houses.

Conservation of Fuel & Power - L2A

Covers the thermal efficiency of new buildings other than dwelling houses

Conservation of Fuel & Power - L2B

Covers the thermal efficiency of existing buildings other than dwelling houses

Part M                Access to & Use of Buildings

                             Primarily devoted to the use of buildings ambulant and fully disabled people

Part N                 Glazing Safety

                          This document covers the specification          ........................of windows and glazing

Part P                  Electrical Safety

                   This document covers the installation of          ,                          .electrical circuits and fittings


What building work requires Building Regulation approval ?

All building work to which any of the above regulations apply will requires building regulations approval, with the following exceptions:

Class I         

Buildings covered by other.legislation such as,nuclear facilities.

Class II               

Buildings not used by people.

Class III               

Greenhouses and.agricultural buildings.

Class IV                         

Temporary Buildings.

Class V 

 Ancillary Buildings.

Class VI 

Small detached building less than 30  square meters such as garages and garden sheds.

Class VII           

Porches, covered ways and conservatories.

What does a Building Control Officer do?

The building regulations process is split into two stages:

  • Plan stage 
  • Inspection stage

The Plan stage is undertaken before any building work is carried out and includes drawing up a set of annotated plans, sections and elevations. A building control officer from the local council will scrutinize the plans to make sure they conform to the current legislation. Once approval has been granted building work may then progress.

The Inspection stage involves the building control officer visiting the site at key points during the building process to ensure the building work conforms to the approved plans.

Please Click Here to Download 'Building Regulations Explanatory Booklet' (pdf 3.02mgb)

For examples of completed projects please visit the Projects page of this website.

For a summary of the services that Jonathan provides and how he can help you with your project please visit the Services page of the website. 

Contact Jonathan on: 01395 265768 or email:

Click here to return to the Home page

Copyright 2023  Jonathan Braddick  - RIBA Chartered Architect. 3 Southernhay West, Exeter, Devon, EX1 1JG     tel:  01395 265768  web:   email: